Are You Looking For Solutions for Excessive Sleepiness? Sometimes people wake up feeling tired. Despite going to bed early or sleeping, they just feel tired. Excessive sleepiness can be addressed naturally by examining the underlying causes.
Do you feel tired all the time?
Perhaps you wake up feeling tired in the morning, even after sufficient sleep?
People experience excessive sleepiness due to a variety of reasons. As a result, it’s important to determine why you feel sleepy.
Here are a few suggestions to help you determine and combat the causes of excessive sleepiness:
- Make sure you are devoting enough time to sleep. According to research we need 6-7 hours of sleep per night.
- Some people think they “sleeping” but feel tired in the morning. This could be due to sleep apnea. People with sleep apnea briefly stop breathing during the night. This interruption wakes you up but you may not be aware of it. Consult with your doctor to rule out sleep apnea.
- Feeling tired during the day could also be due to a poor diet. Make sure your diet is balanced with lean protein, complex carbohydrates and vegetables. It’s best to eat smaller meals throughout the day. Don’t skip meals as your brain needs the fuel.
- Rule out anemia, especially in women. An iron deficiency can make you feel tired. Women make sure to eat iron rich foods such as lean beef, shellfish and beans when you are menstruating. We need red blood cells to provide oxygen throughout our body.
- Poor thyroid function may also leave you feeling tired. An under-active thyroid glad can slow down metabolism functions, create weight gain and leave you feeling tired. A simple blood test can rule out an under-active thyroid.
- Sometimes excessive sleepiness is due to insomnia (difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep most nights). If you struggle with insomnia then consider talking to an insomnia therapist. You may read more about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-i) in one of our previous posts.
By changing your sleep thoughts and sleep habits, we help you create a better night’s sleep so you can wake up feeling rested in the morning.