What is insomnia and what can you do about it? You’ve been tossing and turning for several times now.
You can’t fall asleep and when you do you may keep waking up.Learn more about the common symptoms of insomnia and natural treatment options available.
What is insomnia?
Insomnia refers to the difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep. Insomnia can be acute or chronic.
Common symptoms of Insomnia:
- Feeling tired and groggy upon waking
- Waking up too early in the morning
- Waking frequently throughout the night and having trouble falling back asleep
- Feeling sleepy during the day and easily becoming irritable
Causes of insomnia
Sometimes, there are underlying medical conditions that cause chronic insomnia. Insomnia may be caused by:
- Disruptions in circadian rhythm – work/job shift changes, jet lag from traveling, high altitudes, environmental noise, extreme temperatures.
- Psychological issues – depression and/or anxiety disorders.
- Medical conditions – chronic fatigue, chronic pain, certain heart conditions, acid-reflux (GERD, thyroid imbalance, sleep apnea, and asthma to name a few.
- Hormones – hormonal imbalances such estrogen, progesterone or thyroid hormone. Hormonal changes due to pregnancy.
- Other factors – sleeping next to a snoring partner, pets in the bedroom, parasites, and an anxious/overactive mind.
Why Is Sleep So Important?
While we sleep our bodies work on, restoring, re-balancing, and boosting our disease-fighting powers.
What happens to our bodies when we don’t sleep?
- Irritability and mood swings that can impact our relationships
- Forgetfulness or brain-fog that can impact our work performance
- Daytime drowsiness or sleepiness
- Difficulty paying attention or making decisions
- Increased levels of the stress hormone cortisol
- Increased blood pressure and risk of heart disease
- Increased insulin release leading to decreased ability to breakdown fat and increased hunger
- Constipation, stomach ulcers, and other digestive problems
- Decreased release of growth and thyroid hormones (responsible for brain restoration and healthy aging)
- Poor immunity and reduced ability to defend ourselves against infections
Here is suggested reading:
If you are ready to for better sleep, contact Elika to discuss your treatment options.